The Institute provides factsheets on a wide range of topics related to alcohol.
All our Factsheets can be downloaded in pdf format. You can download Adobe's Acrobat Reader from the left hand menu column of this page.
The Office for National Statistics has revised its procedure for calculating units of alcohol from answers given in the major government surveys. The new procedure has been applied to the 2005 data from the General Household Survey. Any IAS factsheets containing data from that survey will be updated to take account of this change shortly.
Adolescents and Alcohol
(1) This factsheet contains facts and figures on alcohol and young people including sections on how much young people drink, where they drink, when young people start drinking, what they drink, why they drink, general attitudes and recent legislation.
Download pdf 324kb (Last update 21/04/2010)
(2) This factsheets contains specific information on problems related to adolescents drinking alcohol.
Download pdf 373kb (Latest update 11/03/2009)
(3) International Comparisons; this factsheet contains comparisons with other EU countries in relation to alcohol, illegal drugs and sexual activity.
Download pdf 380kb (Last update 07/01/2005)
Alcohol - Advertising
This factsheet contains facts and figures on alcohol and advertising including sections on UK codes of practice, alcoholic soft drinks, advertising controls in European Union Countries and recent developments.
Download pdf 232kb (Last update 18/03/2010)
Alcohol - Binge Drinking
(1) This factsheet looks at the Nature, Prevalence and Causes of binge drinking.
Download pdf 355kb (Last update 09/04/2010)
(2) This factsheet looks at the Medical and Social Consequences of binge drinking.
Download pdf 119kb (Last update 04/09/2007)
(3) This factsheet is a paper published by the IAS which provides a critique of the assumptions underlying the Licensing Act 2003 and the allegedly beneficial effects of the Act in regard to reducing the problems of binge drinking.
Download pdf 198kb (Last update 30/07/2004)
Alcohol - Crime
(1) This factsheet contains facts and figures on alcohol and crime including sections on the scale of the problem, the British Crime Survey, Police studies, 'Happy Hours', sport and disorder, liquor licensing and late night pub opening.
Download pdf 347kb (Last update 29/07/2010)
(2) This factsheet contains facts and figures specific to crime and disorder. Definition of terms, the burden of alcohol related crime and statistics on the scale of the problem.
Download pdf 447kb (Last update 27/07/2010)
(3) This factsheet looks at crime and disorder around licensed premises,
Download pdf 156kb (Last update 22/10/2010)
Alcohol - Drinking and Driving
This factsheet contains facts and figures on drinking and driving including sections on affects on driving skills, the legal limit, who the drink drivers are, the size of the problem, who the people who die from drink driving are, counter measures, breath tests, penalties, high risk offenders and experimental programmes.
Download pdf 273kb (Last update 19/10/2010)
Alcohol - Drinking in Great Britain
(1) Consumption figures, what type of alcohol is drunk, where it is drunk and the growth in home consuption.
Download pdf 204kb (Last Update 22/10/2010)
(2) Consumption and Harm in the UK and EU: A comparison of the UK with some EU countries with regard to measures of alcohol consumption and harm.
Download pdf 743kb (Last update 21/04/2010)
(3) The proportions of people in Great Britain drinking at hazardous and harmful levels and the numbers reporting alcohol dependence.
Download pdf 943kb (Last update 28/07/2010)
(4) What is problem drinking. Types of alcohol problems and scientific concepts of alcohol intoxication, abuse and dependence. Also, the current guidelines on 'sensible drinking'.
Download pdf 80kb (Last update 27/08/2002)
Alcohol - Economic Costs and Benefits
(1)This factsheet looks at the economic cost and benefits of alcohol to society. These include costs such as those to the health service of treating alcohol-related disease and to the criminal justice system of dealing with alcohol related crime and disorder.
Download pdf 380kb (Last update 08/05/2007)
(2) Alcohol: Price, legal availability and expenditure on alcohol in the UK.
Download pdf 284kb (Last update 24/08/2007)
Alcohol - and the Elderly
This factsheet contains facts and figures on alcohol and the elderly including sections on the size of the problem, changing patterns of consumption, reasons for drinking, consequences for the older person, the diagnosis of problems and alcohol services for the elderly.
Download pdf 87kb (Last update 19/02/2010)
Alcohol - and Health
(1) Medical problems related to alcohol; and a brief note on estimated numbers of deaths attributed to alcoholism.
Download pdf 347kb (Last update 02/02/2010)
(2) Medical problems related to alcohol; This factsheet looks at the relationship between alcohol and mental health.
Download pdf 192kb (Last 16/07/2007)
(3) Alcohol and the NHS: the impact of alcohol on the National Health Service; admissions to hospitals for alcohol related diagnosis.
Download pdf 430kb (Last update 05/05/2009)
(4) Alcohol and Accidents: This factsheets shows how alcohol contributes to accidents, together with sections on drink driving, home accidents, alcohol and deaths from fire, alcohol and domestic drownings and workplace accidents.
Download pdf 268kb (Last update 21/04/2010)
(5) Problems causes and prevention. The three main approaches to explaining the incidence of alcohol problems in the population – the disease model; the integration model and the public health model.
Download pdf 284kb (Last update 19/02/2010)
(6) Tax and Price and Public Health. This section contains evidence on links between tax, price, consumption and harm, together with rates of excise duty 1973-2008.
Download pdf 76kb (Last update 13/03/2008)
(7) Alcohol other drugs and addiction. This factsheet looks at the relationship between alcohol and other drugs.
Download pdf 303kb (Last update 26/01/2009)
Alcohol - Policies
This factsheet gives a brief description of what alcohol control policies are, what they seek to achieve and how effective they are.
Download pdf 116kb (Last update 21/07/2005)
Alcohol - Public Opinion
A compilation of findings from public opinion surveys on various alcohol issues, such as higher taxes on alcohol and measures to combat drink driving.
Download pdf 360kb ( Last update 12/10/2010)
Alcohol - Women
This factsheet contains facts and figures on alcohol and women including sections on the size of the problem, where women drink, why women are drinking more, the effect of alcohol on women, victimisation, reasons for heavy drinking in women and whether there is a need for special services for women.
Download pdf 135kb (Last update 07/05/2008)
Alcohol - and the Workplace
This factsheet contains facts and figures on alcohol and the workplace including sections on the problem, working population, legislation, helplines for professionals, changing attitudes and example alcohol policy.
Download pdf 224kb (Last update 03/06/2009)
Alcohol - and You
This factsheet contains basic information on standard drinks (units); alcohol metabolism; blood alcohol levels and their effects, and how long alcohol remains in the system.
Download pdf 1.8mb (Last update 20/04/2004)