Interim Chief Executive (maternity cover)
The Institute of Alcohol Studies (IAS) is looking to appoint an Interim Chief Executive to lead our high-performing team while our CEO is on maternity leave. This is an exciting opportunity to lead a well-respected charity working on a high profile social and political issue affecting thousands of lives across the UK and worldwide.
- Post title: Interim Chief Executive (maternity cover)
- Contract: Fixed-term 12-months, starting 1 December 2021. Secondments and requests for part-time working will be considered (minimum 3 days per week)
- Location: Flexible working between our office in Westminster and from home
- Reports to: IAS Board of Trustees
- Salary: £60-£65k (dependent on experience) + defined contribution pension
- Holiday Entitlement: 25 days
The Interim Chief Executive will lead the effective delivery of the IAS Strategy, managing a team with a diverse set of responsibilities and maintaining positive relationships with stakeholders to help us meet our goal of securing a reduction of alcohol harm.
This role involves:
- Providing strategic leadership and operational management to support the delivery of IAS’ strategy.
- Acting as the principal spokesperson for IAS, making representations to government, the media, and other stakeholders.
- Leading and motivating the IAS team, line managing senior staff and ensuring agreed key performance indicators are met, overseeing all HR processes.
- Maintaining a positive relationship with the Board of Trustees, acting as the main point of contact between Directors and the charity’s operations.
- Collaborating with other organisations to maximise achievement of objectives.
- Providing support to and representing IAS interests on key networks and advisory groups including the Alcohol Health Alliance UK, Alcohol and Families Alliance and European Alcohol Policy Alliance.
- Managing a group of external Expert Advisors, ensuring the group is used effectively to support IAS activities.
- Working alongside the Finance Director to monitor income and expenditure and ensure all activities are delivered to agreed timescales and budgets.
- Ensuring all IAS activities reflect our values and comply with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Experience of management and leadership of teams in a public health and/or NGO environment.
- Experience of representing an organisation in the media and to external stakeholders.
- Experience of working with a trustee board, management committee or similar to deliver and review strategic plans.
- Experience of working to influence public policy decisions, including overseeing the delivery of communications and public affairs strategies.
- Strong analytical skills with ability to communicate complex data in accessible formats.
- Experience of working within coalitions, networks and/or alliances to meet a common goal.
- Excellent communications and presentation skills with extensive public speaking experience.
- Understanding of the legal requirements and principles of good practice in the management and governance of charities.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills with proven ability to prioritise competing demands and respond to change effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience of working in alcohol policy or related field
- Experience of working to short-term contracts and/or maternity cover posts
How to apply
To apply for this role, please send a CV and covering letter outlining how you meet the criteria to email@example.com by 5pm Monday 27th September 2021.
First interviews will be held via Zoom on 4th October 2021.
Second interviews will be held via Zoom on 12th October 2021.
Applicants are asked to confirm their availability on these dates in their cover letter.
We value diversity and welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds. We seek to employ people based on their ability to carry out the requirements of the role and no applicant will receive less favourable treatment on the grounds of disability, gender, race, religion or belief, age, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, or caring responsibilities. Please let us know if you require additional support to make an application, for example, if you require documentation in an alternative format.